For example, such as college, entering the workforce, starting a family, to preparing for retirement, then retirement, etc. for personal life planning. For businesses, starting up, ramping up, scaling, maturing, and either reinventing itself or dissolving the business when considering business life cycles. The vision statement for each stage is what the end of that specific stage should be or what set of conditions should be met.
This page is to help provide an understanding of how to write a vision statement and provide an easy process so you can develop and write your own vision statement, whether for your own personal life or for your organization.
Vision Statement Objective
A vision statement is to create a forward-looking picture of to answer where, when, what and how you want your personal life or your organization to be well into the future 3, 5, 10 even 20 years out.
Vision Statement Purpose
It’s aspirational and often thought of as your North Star. Your Vision Statement answers the question, “If all goals are achieved, what will the future be or look like for myself or my organization X number of years from now?”
Keep in mind of the following:
1. Think big and think bold. Look many years into the future to visualize long-term ambitions, out 5 to 20 years from today. Think of and list out major accomplishments that could impact humanity that excites you, how you want your personal and professional life to be like every or most days, where your life or organization should be involved, how the community and environment where your located in should be shaped.
2. Consider how your circumstances will be impacted by changes in your personal life, your family, technology, society, the environment, the country, the world, etc during that time. No one has a crystal ball to predict 100% accurate, but life is dynamic and we should be prepared to adapt.
3. Write several statements that vividly creates an action-oriented picture in your own mind, clearly defining how you want your life to become or how you want your organization to be, out the next 3 to 5 years. Consider these statements as guides for all development related activities over the course of this next period or stage of the life cycle.
4. Now work to combine your statements into one very clear and concise statement incorporating the key components that are meaningful in those statements. Make certain to keep what you feel strongly about. Refine it until you feel it will answer the questions below well.
5. Refine the vision statement as much as possible to limit it to one powerful forward looking sentence if possible, limit it to 50 or fewer words and commit it to memory. Make certain the vision statement is aligned with and or supports your values and mission statement. Poor or lack of congruency will make achieving overall success more challenging up to the point of impossible if the vision opposes the mission and or values.
If you’re going to work over periods of years to improve yourself, your ability to perform and shaping your environment, you must have an optimism about it to stay excited about your future and to continue to be excited to work at making the changes you must, to take on the learning curves you need and to make the sacrifices ultimately required of you to be successful. The vision statement answers the “What” you are working toward and that needs to be something you will absolutely remain excited about….. Happy writing!
Personal Vision Statements
Organization Vision Statements
TIP: Make Your Life Easier